Due to a sudden call from the National Center of Blood Donation (E.KE.A), the voluntary blood donation, which is organized from Caritas Athens and Caritas Hellas in collaboration with E.KE.A., will eventually take place over two days, Monday 21st and Tuesday 22nd of January at Syntagma Metro station from 9:00 am to 16:00 pm and not at the hall of the Holy Cathedral of St Dionysios (9, Omirou str), as originally planned.
The volunteer blood donor must have with him his Identity Card or passport, his AMKA number and he must declare that he donates blood on behalf of Caritas Athens, with registration number 10655 at the National Registry of Blood Donors (E.M.A.).
In addition, those of you, that have offered blood for Caritas Athens in the past and you do not have a Blood Donor Volunteer card, can call at 215 2157865 for instructions.
We thank you for your understanding and we call you to support our efforts by communicating our voluntary blood donation to people who can become blood donors.
The volunteer blood donor is a person who is sensitized and responsible, who embraces the value of solidarity and altruism and tastes the joy of offering, which in our day is a value invaluable!
The blood donor should know that s/he:
BEFORE THE BLOOD DONATION
– Must be healthy
– Must not follow any medication (specific medical treatments are excluded)
– Women should not donate blood during menstruation or pregnancy
– A minimum of 3 months must have elapsed since the previous donation
– Must be restful and must not have had a late night the night before
– Must not have consumed alcohol in the past 24 hours
– Must have had a light breakfast (morning blood donation) or a light lunch before at least 2-3 hours (afternoon blood donation)
AFTER THE BLLOD DONATION
– Must drink the juice and eat the biscuits that will be offered to him
– Must stay in the Blood Donation area for at least half an hour
– Must not smoke for 2 hours
-Must not drive for 2 hours
– Must not have any heavy physical exercise
– Must drink plenty of fluids and eat a good meal
– Must avoid drinking alcohol
– Must ask for help from nursing staff if s/he feels malaise
Blood collection is completely harmless and lasts only a few minutes.
Blood can be provided by healthy men and women aged 18-62 years.
The quantity offered is 300gr. That’s about 1/20 of our whole blood.
This quantity is replenished within 10-15 minutes.
Prior to blood collection, the health history of the blood donor is recorded, and an examination for hematocrit and blood pressure takes place.
Information: Caritas Athens Blood Donation Division responsible
Ms. Efi Zaloni, Tel. +30 210 3626186